Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/2002 01:15:42
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> writes:

> (a) As I read about postfix, I see that I have two (at least) options for
>     local mail delivery.  One is "Maildir/", which apparently breaks each
>     message into a seperate file.  The other is the conventional UNIX
>     single-file mailbox.

Unless you have to support users who *need* mbox, go with
maildir.  Delivery to a maildir is atomic, while mbox is
guaranteed to give you a corrupt mailbox once in a while.

>     Any recommended POP3 or IMAP servers?  Or, for that matter, web-mail
>     servers that I might want to try?  (^&

I use Courier-IMAP and Sqwebmail, both over SSL.  I see a lot of
recommendations for Squirrelmail, but it has a lot of overhead
(PHP: just what you need, Yet Another Security Hole).  Sqwebmail
has a simple, secure design (not saying Squirrelmail doesn't, i
can't comment there), is written in C, and runs as a CGI.  Very
fast and reliable.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett