Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: CEBKA <CEBKA@smtp.ru>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/01/2002 21:24:36
Hello, Richard.

RR> [skip]

RR> (b) Given that I have complete control over the computer to which mail
RR>     will spool, what kinds of options do I have for remote access to
RR>     my mailbox?  I know I can do POP3 and IMAP.  In my home LAN I can
RR>     also do NFS exports, but I'm reluctant to become dependant upon that,
RR>     since I'd like to access my mail from my laptop (which won't be my
RR>     mail server) and would like to be able to do so even when my laptop
RR>     is in another network.  I'm reluctant to NFS-export over the
RR>     Internet.  (^&  Or can NFS be made secure over the Internet?  (I
RR>     believe at leas POP3 can use ssh for security and privacy, yes?
RR>     Is IMAP secure, or securable?)

You can use nfs via ssh tunnel. There is an article at http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~bowman
or  try to search the web. If you are using courier-imapd it is an easy way to
turn  on  ssl.  It works great! Simply RTFM. The other way is in using
Cyrus  SASL  with  courier,  try  to read a doc(but I can write to you
about  it,  if you wanna) and send an md5 hashes of passwords. You can
also use mysql or ldap to store accounts. Also you can use tunnelling:
via ssh or stunnel. The choise is yours.

RR>     Any other methods?  I think we have at least one or two other ways
RR>     to share files, don't we?  How secure are they?  I could also set up
RR>     a web-mail interface, I guess (but that would force me to use the
RR>     web-based interface...)

RR>     Any recommended POP3 or IMAP servers?  Or, for that matter, web-mail
RR>     servers that I might want to try?  (^&

Postfix+courier+squirrelmail(http://www.squirrelmail.org)     works
plenty with ssl and/or sasl.

--