Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/01/2002 11:44:51

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

>(b) Given that I have complete control over the computer to which mail
>    will spool, what kinds of options do I have for remote access to
>    my mailbox?  I know I can do POP3 and IMAP.  In my home LAN I can
>    also do NFS exports, but I'm reluctant to become dependant upon that,
>    since I'd like to access my mail from my laptop (which won't be my
>    mail server) and would like to be able to do so even when my laptop
>    is in another network.  I'm reluctant to NFS-export over the
>    Internet.  (^&  Or can NFS be made secure over the Internet?  (I
>    believe at leas POP3 can use ssh for security and privacy, yes?
>    Is IMAP secure, or securable?)
>
>    Any other methods?  I think we have at least one or two other ways
>    to share files, don't we?  How secure are they?  I could also set up
>    a web-mail interface, I guess (but that would force me to use the
>    web-based interface...)

I use pine as a mailclient, downloading the mail to my desktop  machine
via fetchmail. I can access the mail from just about any machine (from
windoh$ using terra-term or Putty) via ssh. Call it reasonably secure.

>    Any recommended POP3 or IMAP servers?  Or, for that matter, web-mail
>    servers that I might want to try?  (^&

Squirrelmail is a great little webmail tool. You can run it through ssl to
make it secure, and it can handle a decent load.

Courier IMAP is great, lots of features and really configurable. For POP,
I would just use palin old uw-imap.