Subject: Mail server questions.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/01/2002 09:40:13
(a) As I read about postfix, I see that I have two (at least) options for
    local mail delivery.  One is "Maildir/", which apparently breaks each
    message into a seperate file.  The other is the conventional UNIX
    single-file mailbox.

    If I have no reason to prefer one or the other (no long-standing
    history on my own system), is there a clear, technically prefered
    choice?  If it (as is often the case) is "it depends", then I
    guess my next thoughts are towards reliability (very important,
    but I don't expect significant mail volume to stress any limits)
    and interoperability (I'd like to be able to fool with a range
    of mail software).

(b) Given that I have complete control over the computer to which mail
    will spool, what kinds of options do I have for remote access to
    my mailbox?  I know I can do POP3 and IMAP.  In my home LAN I can
    also do NFS exports, but I'm reluctant to become dependant upon that,
    since I'd like to access my mail from my laptop (which won't be my
    mail server) and would like to be able to do so even when my laptop
    is in another network.  I'm reluctant to NFS-export over the
    Internet.  (^&  Or can NFS be made secure over the Internet?  (I
    believe at leas POP3 can use ssh for security and privacy, yes?
    Is IMAP secure, or securable?)

    Any other methods?  I think we have at least one or two other ways
    to share files, don't we?  How secure are they?  I could also set up
    a web-mail interface, I guess (but that would force me to use the
    web-based interface...)

    Any recommended POP3 or IMAP servers?  Or, for that matter, web-mail
    servers that I might want to try?  (^&