Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/2002 13:30:36
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, henry nelson wrote:

> AFAIK (and that's not very far!) in NetBSD there's only one way to use
> all those static IP's and have firewalling at the same time.  I'd like
 [...]

Hm.

> So in your "ifconfig.rtk0" file for the NIC connected to the cable|DSL modem,
> you have something like:
> 66.136.7.249 netmask 0xffffff00
> 66.136.7.250 netmask 0xffffffff alias
> 66.136.7.251 netmask 0xffffffff alias
> 66.136.7.252 netmask 0xffffffff alias
> 66.136.7.253 netmask 0xffffffff alias
> 66.136.7.254 netmask 0xffffffff alias

Minor nit-pick (just because of my nature): 66.136.7.254 is on the other
end of the DSL modem, at the ISP.  It's not one of mine.

> Where "249" is your mail server, "250" is your webserver, "251" acts
 [...]

I'm not nearly so organized.  249 is probably going to run -current.  250
is my tower/main system.  251 is my laptop.  252 and 253 are unassigned.
Any servers I really want to run will probably be on 250.  (^&

(Well, they all run sshd so I can login to any from any.)

> <rant>
> I wish you could give me one of those IPs.  My ISP wants to charge $250+
> _a month_ to give me just one!  Fo-o-o-orge-e-e-e-et i-i-i-it, $50/month
> for dhcp seems steep enough already.
> </rant>

It's a $15 option up to 5 usable IP's static IP with SW Bell's DSL.  You
have to be willing to stomach going through Prodigy (SWBell contracts out
to Prodigy), and I don't think that they ever gave me an actual
theoretical data rate (I get about 150K/sec download).  Not always very
helpful support, but...  Once you've heard enough conflicting stories, you
can figure out the happy medium where (roughly) the truth lies and make it
work.  (^&