Subject: Re: SMTP servers (sendmail, postfix, ..?)
To: CEBKA <CEBKA@smtp.ru>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/2002 10:43:11
>   In  NetBSD 1.5.2 postfix is the part of "base" set, so I think, that
> in  the  latest  version  postfix  is  also included. Postfix is now a
 [...]
>   Sendmail is also in the base part!

Yes.  (^&

But that doesn't answer my question about the future.  When Postfix was
added, there was some concern about the bloat of shipping two fully
functional mailers with the base system.  The implication that I remember
(perhaps I was mistaken, or the person who gave the impression was wrong)
was that Postfix was added for "evaluation"  (I took that to mean "for
evaluation as a sendmail replacement").  Postfix got added to the base
system and I haven't heard a peep about removing either one, since.  Am I
completely wrong in my impression, or is the evaluation (actively)
on-going?  Or did people give up on replacing sendmail and just decide to
keep both in the base system?

(This is really a matter of curiosity more than anything else.  If I'm
using one of them and it gets pushed into pkgsrc, I can still install it
from pkgsrc.)