Subject: SMTP servers (sendmail, postfix, ..?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2002 22:25:19
Okay, I think that I will consider my static IP situation sorted for now.
Thanks to all who lent me their eyeballs and neural activity.  (^&

Now I'm looking at setting up email.  Looking around at NetBSD FAQ's,
sendmail seems to be the only one discussed.  However, a few years ago,
postfix was put in the NetBSD distribution for "evaluation".  It's still
in there, so I might give that a whirl.  Or, maybe something from
pkgsrc..?

I'm looking for advice.  I *have* set up sendmail before, but I never
grokked sendmail.cf.  I don't have a big site to configure and would be
content with a fairly small server that provides the following features:

 * Delivers email to local users.  (^&

 * Defaults to conservative behavior (e.g., when I last had sendmail
   up, I think that it defaulted to being an open relay---*not* the
   kind of philosophy I want in a default config for a mail server
   that's on the Internet; though I might prefer it in a secure,
   private network...  (^&).

 * Robust/simple.

 * Some facility for dropping in scripts (per-user or site-wide---almost
   the same thing in my case) to filter mail in some way.

The ideal would be to throw an rc.conf switch to turn on one of sendmail
or postfix and have it all just come to life.  But if it involves much
review and customization to get basic delivery to function safely, maybe I
should look at pkgsrc.  Especially if getting a safe,
non-a-spammer's-paradise server up requires dealing with sendmail.cf
(say), I'd rather avoid sendmail.  (^&

Also, on the topic: What's the future for postfix as part of the NetBSD
distribution?  I didn't think that it was intended to have 2 mailers ship
with NetBSD "forever".  Has that changed, or is postfix still being
evaulated?  Or is there a thought to eventually remove either postfix or
sendmail from the distribution?