Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2002 00:00:50
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:50:03AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > >  [...]
> > >
> > > More fun with this:
> > >
> > > I'm having trouble getting my gateway to act as a gateway *while* also
> > > having my static IP numbers farmed out over my little home network.
> > >
> > > The situation is something like this:
> > >
> > >  Internet <==> [rtk0/gate  Gatewa  tlp0/prometheus] <==> [other machines]
> > >
> > > rtk0/gate is the interface/name (IP address 66.136.7.249) used to talk to
> > > the ISP via DSL.
> > >
> > > tlp0/prometheus is the interface/name (IP address 66.136.7.250) used to
> > > talk to my LAN.
> >
> > You got two overlapping subnets on both interfaces.
> > Can't you make smaller subnets on each side to remedy the problem
>
> I don't know.  Can I?  It crossed my mind, but wouldn't I lose two more
> addresses (at least) for top/bottom on my subnets?  Where there are
> presently 8 IP's (from which 1 is reserved at bottom, one at top, and
> anther (254) is used by my ISP), I would instead have two lots of 4, 4 of
> which would be used by top/bottom and 1 more by my ISP.  That would give
> me just enough IP's to have 1 IP number per machine, but if I have 3
> machines and one of the machines needs 2 IP's (one in each of the
> subnets)...I'm stuck.

Okay, the other thing you can do in this case
is assign the 5 static ip's which you got from your provider to
the rtk0 interface. Define an internal/non routable range (192. or 10. ....)
on the tlp0 interface and plant 5 machines
on the internal network connected to the tlp0 interface.
Then do static nat for each of the static ip's to
internal ip's.
Bye,

Mipam.