Subject: NTFS does strange things
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter. Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 22:53:03
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list, but maybe you can help me.

On my system there are 3 NTFS partitions for Win2000 and a normal NetBSD partition.
I've added the NTFS partitions to the disklabel with mbrlabel (using NetBSD-1.6,
but the kernel I'm using now is -CURRENT), and I can mount the NTFS volumes
without problems.
When I start writing to any NTFS volume, strange things happen: The program that
is performing the disk request simply won't react anymore, or with a "rm -rf
foo" the kernel panics:

panic: lockmgr: locking against myself
Stopped in pid 200(rm) at cpu_Debugger+0x4:leave

I've searched for this in the mailing list archives and it seems this problem
was known in 2000.(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2000/10/05/0004.html)
The replies mentioned a PR should be sent, but searching for "NTFS" in the Gnats
system I don't get any PRs about this issue.

Has this problem been fixed? Are there other people who have or don't have this
problem?

My system: AMD Athlon 1GHz, Maxtor 33073H3 hdd, recently flashed BIOS (there
were problems before with the DMA, but those are completely over now).

Regards,
Peter

        --Donald Knuth