Subject: RE: Networking problem.
To: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 10:35:28
> > I'm having trouble getting my gateway to act as a gateway *while* also
> > having my static IP numbers farmed out over my little home network.
>
> > Then again, maybe a suitable route to force packets for
> > 66.136.7.254 (the
> > gateway provided by the ISP) out through the rtk0/gate
> > interface?  Having
> > read the man page for route, it's not clear how (or even if) I can do
> > this.
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you post the result of doing route -n show?

(Minor technicality is that .249 is now tlp0 instead of rtk0.  But who
cares about that, yes?  (^&)

It's pretty generic.  Vanilla NetBSD install, boot, ifconfig, and add the
ISP's gateway as the default route.

 /~~~ route -n show

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination       Gateway            Flags
default           66.136.7.254       UG
66.0.0.0          link#2             U
66.136.7.249      link#2             UH
66.136.7.254      00:10:67:00:9a:a6  UH
127.0.0.0         127.0.0.1          UGR
127.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UH
192.0.0.0         link#1             U

Internet6:
Destination       Gateway            Flags
::/104            ::1                UGR
::/96             ::1                UGR
::1               ::1                UH
::127.0.0.0       ::1                UGR
::224.0.0.0       ::1                UGR
::255.0.0.0       ::1                UGR
::ffff:0.0.0.0    ::1                UGR
2002::            ::1                UGR
2002:7f00::       ::1                UGR
2002:e000::       ::1                UGR
2002:ff00::       ::1                UGR
fe80::            ::1                UGR
fe80::%rtk0       link#1             U
fe80::%tlp0       link#2             U
fe80::%lo0        fe80::1%lo0        U
fec0::            ::1                UGR
ff01::            ::1                U
ff02::%rtk0       link#1             U
ff02::%tlp0       link#2             U
ff02::%lo0        fe80::1%lo0        U

 \___ route -n show

> Also, I've found route get <ip-addr-or-host-name> to be useful in figuring
> out just what
> the routing stuff is really up to.

I've fooled with that a bit.  Unfortunately, that just confirmed what I
was coming to understand: I can't have rtk0 and tlp0 in the same subnet,
use rtk0 to communicate to my default route (also in the same subnet) and
at the same time talk to my other computers (also in the same subnet).

At least, I can't with anything I've been able to come up with.  I can
talk to my LAN over one interface *or* my ISP over the other, but not both
at once.