Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 10:01:40
> > > How many static IP addresses are you getting from your ISP, and
 [...]
> > I have 5 static IP's (that is, 66.136.7.249 through ...253).  No others
 [...]
> > I presently have 3 computers that need IP addresses.  (The two above, p=
lus
 [...]
> Five static addresses and three computers?  Just get one of those
> little five port switches a forget about NAT.  Use one port for

You mean plug the modem right into my hub?

Hum.  Why didn't I think of that?  (^&  (Pro'ly because I've had a year of
conditioning with the whole PPPoE mess that they want for dynamic
support...)  That sounds like it'd work.  Of course, then:

 * I have 1 extra ethernet card (oh woe!).

 * I lose the option of setting up a firewall.  I kind of like the fact
   that, at present,=A0all traffic goes through one machine.  While I
   haven't made an effort to make it really secure, it does make it easier
   if I decide that I need more security.

On the plus side, though, I only give up one address per machine (rather
than apparently needing 2 for my router).