Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 14:39:17
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 08:13:00PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > For about a year, I've been using a dynamic IP DSL link to the internet.
>  [...]
>
> More fun with this:
>
> I'm having trouble getting my gateway to act as a gateway *while* also
> having my static IP numbers farmed out over my little home network.
>
> The situation is something like this:
>
>  Internet <==> [rtk0/gate  Gatewa  tlp0/prometheus] <==> [other machines]
>
> rtk0/gate is the interface/name (IP address 66.136.7.249) used to talk to
> the ISP via DSL.
>
> tlp0/prometheus is the interface/name (IP address 66.136.7.250) used to
> talk to my LAN.

You got two overlapping subnets on both interfaces.
Can't you make smaller subnets on each side to remedy the problem
of overlapping subnets? Or if you wish to keep it this way ....
Proxy arp would be the solution.
On NetBSD this can be done, but then you would have to
insert all the corresponding machines manually by the arp
command like: arp -s {ip_number} {mac_address} pub
The pub command will make it work like proxy arp.
But best is to
make a file of the form:

{ip_number1} {mac_address1} pub
{ip_number2} {mac_address2} pub
{ip_number3} {mac_address3} pub
...... (and so on).

and then do arp -f {filename}

And of course dont forget net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
Though, In my opinion two interfaces with overlapping
subnets is a misconfiguration, but I could be wrong. :-)
Bye,

Mipam.