Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@spamcop.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 07:19:03
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:59:37PM +1100, J. Piers Hearn wrote:
> At 18:47 28/11/2002, David S. wrote:
> <snip>
> >Five static addresses and three computers?  Just get one of those
> >little five port switches a forget about NAT.  Use one port for
> >your modem, three for your computers.  Configure them with the
> >static addresses, netmask, default gateway, etc. that your ISP
> >provides.  That's the simplest set-up.
>
> Except that you lose the advantage of having a firewall/proxy...

Yeah... a while back, someone mentioned on one of the NetBSD mailing
lists that it's possible to set up a firewall w/o NAT by using ipf to
forward packets between the internal and external interfaces, along
with a proxy arp daemon. I couldn't find any details on exactly what to
do though. I've also got a small block of static IPs from my ISP and
would like to avoid NAT, so if anyone has more details on how to set
that up, please post :).
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++