Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 10:58:23
* Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> [1106 03:06]:
> > > One machine in my LAN:
> > >       ethernet card 1: tlp0
> > >        network name 1: hermes      (66.136.7.251)
> > >
> > > My DSL router/gateway:
> > >        ethernet card 1: rtk0
> > >         network name 1: gate       (66.136.7.249)
> > >
> > >        ethernet card 2: tlp0
> > >         network name 2: prometheus (66.136.7.250)
> >
> > How many static IP addresses are you getting from your ISP, and
> > how many machines do you have on your home network?

Right, these addresses are all on the same /29 network
(i.e. 255.255.255.248 subnet mask) - so they're only valid there.

The 6 valid addresses are from 66.136.7.249 ->  66.136.7.254

They'll only be valid on your subnet, yes.

One thing that does seem to be a little odd is they've quoted you
five valid IP addresses for your hosts, which makes me wonder where
the other one is. It won't be on rtk0, or routing would break -
in fact, that probably confuses NAT as much as it confuses me.

Are you supposed to have a router from them ?

I know you're using a BSD box as a router, but the fact you're short of
a IP sets a bell ringing in my head - the last IP would normally be for the
default gateway (router).

If you're using the BSD box for that, 66.136.7.254 would then be the IP
of tlp0 on prometheus, and the gateway (or default route) of the other machines.

So next question is: what does the BSD boxes rtk0 interface plug into?
If it goes into a router, it shouldn't be routing.
Let me know and we might be able to give you a list of questions to ask
your ISP :)