Subject: non dying processes.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2002 01:16:29
Hi,

I have been using mpg123 for playing audio files.
Mostly with a lot of pleasure, but sometimes in agony. :-)
Today I noticed again that during the playing of an mp3 file by mpg123
the application crashed and I couldnt stop it anymore
by ctrl-c. Checking with ps waux
didnt result in a mpg123 process anywhere. But still .....
ttyE2 wasnt usable anymore. I tried to kill the shell
used on ttyE2 but it didnt work, even not with kill -9.
The shell remained visable in ps waux, but only between
brackets.
I just used mpg123 under tcsh and a vt220 terminal emulation.
The audio card used was recognized as:
eap0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 0x01)
interrupting at irq 12. A soundblaster pci 64. An old card.
No X was used or anything. I notice this problem sometimes
and it is reproducable. At last during the reboot, init
reported that some processes wouldnt die.
I experienced this under 1.6_Stable which was build yesterday.
However, I was able to reproduce this kind of behaviour under
versions 1.{4,5,6}. Mostly while using mpg123 nothing strange happens
however, sometimes the application hangs, but then i'll still be able
to kill the shell under the ttyE{0,..,3} and then logon
again under that tty. But sometimes I even cant kill the shell
anymore with kill -9 and init reports non dying processes.
Anybody else's been experiencing this kind of behaviour with mpg123?
Of course it could very well be a combination of the program
with the audiocard. But still i never experienced
such a problem using gqmpeg under x which uses mpg123 as engine.
Bye,

Mipam.