Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2002 23:47:31

> > How many static IP addresses are you getting from your ISP, and
> > how many machines do you have on your home network?
>
> I have 5 static IP's (that is, 66.136.7.249 through ...253).  No others
> were given to me, unless the support person that I spoke with gave me poor
> information.  (In the past, I had a static IP account with 5 or so IP
> numbers *plus* another one (in a different subnet) for my connection
> interface.  That setup, back in Kansas City with a different ISP, worked
> nicely.)
>
> I presently have 3 computers that need IP addresses.  (The two above, plus
> one other.)

Five static addresses and three computers?  Just get one of those
little five port switches a forget about NAT.  Use one port for
your modem, three for your computers.  Configure them with the
static addresses, netmask, default gateway, etc. that your ISP
provides.  That's the simplest set-up.

David S.