Subject: Re: Networking problem.
To: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@spamcop.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2002 21:23:44
> <snip>
> >My DSL router/gateway:
> >        ethernet card 1: rtk0
> >         network name 1: gate       (66.136.7.249)
> >
> >        ethernet card 2: tlp0
> >         network name 2: prometheus (66.136.7.250)
> <snip>
> You have these cards both on the same subnet? I'm sure someone will correct
> me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't this going to be the source of routing

Yes, it does seem to be causing routing problems.  However, it seems to be
what I have to work with, unless the person I spoke to at the ISP didn't
tell me the correct information.  (Being so long since I dealt with this,
it didn't immediately register that there might be some kind of problem,
and by the time it did occur to me, it was after hours.  I'm not sure if
they'll be in tomorrow.)

As I said in a previous message, they thought that I should use DHCP, but
my attempts to use DHCP have met with failure so far.  (I *am* able to use
dhclient on my laptop in another network, so I don't think that pilot
error is behind my DHCP problems.)

> problems? I assume your routing table lists the rtk0 as your default route,

Out of desperation, I already tried "route change default gate" (the IP
tied to rtk0), but that didn't seem to help.

The gateway that the ISP provides is 66.136.7.254 (my addresses are ...249
through ...253).  I have that gateway set as my default route.  That
works, but I can't see how to *force* my machine to use the rtk0 interface
for talking to the defaultroute gateway (while still talking to my LAN).

What I think that I need is some way to say "That IP address is available
directly over that interface".

> which is fine, but is there even any route to your LAN from this box?
> Are you still trying to do NAT, or have you been allocated enough static
> IPs for all your boxes?

I have 5 IP's and 3 boxes.  I might consider NAT, but I'd like to be able
to dispense with NAT.

As for a route to my LAN from the box: Not explicitly.  That, really, is
the crux of the problem.  If the machine can figure out where the LAN is,
it can't find my ISP's gateway, and vice versa.

NAT is one option.  Buying a little dedicated router box is another.
(There's some appeal to that, anyway; it would free up my own gateway box
to do something like track -current.)