Subject: Re: disk performce, hints?
To: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2002 21:50:10
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:45:26PM +0100, Mipam wrote:
> > I've also had power supply problems in the past.
> > Do the kernel show messages about IDE disks or controllers ?
>
> None but the normal messages during boot ....
> Or do you wish me to show the messages during boot as well?

No, I'm talking about maybe lost interrupts or CRC errors.

> > > Now i'm thinking on buying a promise tx2 ide controller
> > > which is a pci card, the netbsd pciide driver supports it now.
> > > Besides that ... im looking at a pci bus of 33 mhz and 32 bit.
> > > So theoretically .... 33*4 (bytes) is 132 mbyte/sec is the max
> > > speed of the pci bus ... so a udma 133 can never be fully supported
> > > and performance wise be reached by such a controller,
> > > unless you got a faster pci bus.
> > > And if i aint wrong the netbsd core wdc driver supports
> > > up to udma mode 5, so up to udma100.
> >
> > No, UDMA 6 is supported now. But anyway I don't think the usual drives
> > can deliver data at that speed.
>
> What do you mean by that? If I have a udma 133 drive it should work
> shouldnt it? Provided i have the promise controller tx2 controller.

Yes, I meant that the drive *media* can't deliver data at udma 133 speed
anyway (that would make a gigabit out of the platters).

> But ... what about the pci speed problems i described above?
> Can such an extra controller realy handle speed up to udma 100
> or am i limited to lower speeds because of the pci bus stuff?

I don't have Ultra/133 drive so I can't really test, but with 33Mhz/32bit PCI,
Ultra/133 should only be marginally better than Ultra/100

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>