Subject: Re: fxp trouble
To: None <netbsd@ns.purk.ee>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2002 13:01:01
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:26:40 +0200
netbsd@ns.purk.ee wrote:

> Hi
>
> Almost month i'm trying to figure out what causing to lock my box when its
> getting
> a little load.I use this mashine for nat,www,dns and mail.The system is
> running
> on NetBSD 1.6 with decent fxp NIC.When i set media on nic to full-duplex i
> get
> a lot of timeouts.It behaves well with 100baseTX but only 3 days and then
> even
> ifconfig fxp up and down can't resolv the problem! Sometimes it wakes up for
> 3/sec ;-) and thats all ---> reboot .I changed switch even pulled out
> second nic ( after that i saw timeouts with fxp2 ;-) , so it can't be a bad
> nic ) Well , i noticed that it dying slowly ....sometimes i can ping a
> couple of hosts and at the end i see with tcpdup ...

sounds suspiciously like it may be a switch problem, not a nic problem. When
you force the nic to full duplex, do you have any way of verifying that the
switch port is set for full duplex, e.g. an led or a console for the switch?
You may want to try a different switch port, or better yet switch. Also, you
could try a $15 realtek chipset card(rtk) to futher narrow down if it's the
fxp driver that is at fault.

I know _my_ fxp cards seem to be fine running on 1.6, but do have a system
that's locking up when amanda runs. I know it's not disk io related, so I
can't say for sure if I don't have the same problem you do. :-|

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing