Subject: Novatel Merlin G100 GPRS pcmcia modem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2002 13:17:39
Ok, I know this thing is supposed to work but I've had now luck getting this
piece of hw to act properly. It does work under windows so I believe the
HW is solid. I've read read the GPRS/CPDP faq and tried resetting to factory
settings (AT&F, AT&F0) as well as every combination of ttyflags, stty,
port speed, rtscts and xonxoff, but two problems remain.

1. If I try to use chat or cu with the modem when ATE0 is set it accepts one
or two (AT) commands and then stops reposponding.

2. If sucessfully negotiates a ppp connection I can send between 0 and 5 ping
packets to a remote host before ppp stops responding. [as confirmed by kdebug
7 and pppdump] It seems that even if ATE0 is set, which make chat almost
unusable as per the above, it's still echoing back data even when it's not in
command mode. If I enable LCP echo under pppd, or LQR under the user-ppp
package, I get these sorts of errors:

Nov 19 21:35:17 scimitar pppd[1550]: appear to have received our own
echo-reply!

I'm trying to use this with T-mobile here in the us and whatever defaults they
had novatel set in the card are making me insane. If someone who has this
working wouldn't mind sending me the output of AT&V or any other helpful
advice, I'd really appreciate it.

I use tmda, so if you want to email me directly, you may use the address

waddell+dated+1043015316.59ead2@caravan.com

to bypass the headaches of my spam filter.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing