Subject: Trouble applying SA2002-027&028 (xs4)
To: NetBSD-help list <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2002 22:23:49
Hello everyone,

when trying to perform the updates for the recent security
advisories, I get the following error upon 'make cleandir dependall'
for libexec/ftpd:

rm -f cmds.o conf.o ftpd.o ftpcmd.o logutmp.o logwtmp.o popen.o ls.o
cmp.o print.o stat_flags.o util.o  cmds.ln conf.ln ftpd.ln logutmp.ln
logwtmp.ln popen.ln ls.ln cmp.ln print.ln stat_flags.ln util.ln
rm -f ftpcmd.c
rm -f a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core ftpd
rm -f ftpd.conf.cat5 ftpusers.cat5 ftpd.cat8
rm -f .depend /usr/src/libexec/ftpd/tags
/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-i386/bin/nbyacc    -o
ftpcmd.c /usr/src/libexec/ftpd/ftpcmd.y
make:
exec(/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-i386/bin/nbyacc)
failed (No such file or directory)
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/libexec/ftpd

It seems the 'cleandir' stage works fine. The problem appears to
directly start with the 'dependall' stage. After checking out the CVS
tree (release netbsd 1.6), I made the object directories [ make obj ]
and built the toolchain [ ./build.sh -t ]. Upon checking for the
existence of nbyacc on my system, I find it in the /usr/obj
directories. Running the command itself works fine. I really wonder
why and how the make process fails. Is make overly sensitive
when it comes to symlinks (which are made by 'make obj')

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? Also, I would be
most interested in some overview or 'howto' on preparing a running
system for updates through CVS as they are given in the SA's. So far,
I came up with the following, but on applying earlier advisories, I
did have problems. Those problems were only with libraries that
needed to be built in addition to the SA.

What I do on a freshly checked out CVS tree (and did here):
	umask 022
	cd /usr/src
	make obj
	./build.sh -t

Need I do more or different things? I tried finding anything on the
documentation pages, but I couldn't find specific info for this.

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance,

Rogier Krieger

--
"Eagles fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines..."