Subject: Re: Realtek NIC
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2002 20:29:43
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:57:32 -0500, "Fernando" <fernando@rxp.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> My dmesg.boot file dosn't look like it captures everything from the
> boot. As I watch it boot (really fast) I see something fly by mentioning
> "Network" but there is no such word in the boot file. I also see
> somthing say"Warning" but that also is not in the file.

And the text changes colors partway through the bootup, right?

The early messages are written to the console by the kernel and captured
in the dmesg file (which you can use "dmesg" to read cf. "man dmesg").

The later messages are written to the console by the applications and
daemons and are captured in the system log.  Try "more /var/log/messages".

See, in NetBSD, if it's not logged it didn't happen. ;)

> You guys have all the luck. I wish mine said that. :-)

So do I.

> I copied and pasted everything in the dmesg.boot file below. As you can
> see, no network anything. :-( But I notice the confilict. Perhaps it is
> a conflict between the sound card and the nic. It may see one and not
> the other simply because they are sharing an IRQ, although when I use
> Windows to view it, I see none. (That liein' winders). I'm going to get
> a seperate nic card and try it. I'm also going to try disabling sound in
> the bios.

Your sound card could cover it.  It's really and ISA card?  Have you got a
clay tablet printer, too?  :-)

Yanking the sound card will work.  If you're going to fool with the BIOS,
instead of disabling sound, there should be a way to reserve IRQs for ISA
devices.

> sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1 drq2 5: dsp v4.13

Your sound card is using IRQ 5.  If you reserve that, PCI won't claim it.
The built-in Ethernet device surely lives on the PCI bus.  The reason I
suspect the conflict matters is that I'd expect at least a "found
something here I don't recognize" message.  And ("man 4 rtk") it should
work.

Also, you might have PNP enabled in the BIOS.  AFAIK, it should be
disabled with NetBSD.

I've seen many uncomplimentary remarks about Realtek's hardware, both on
this list and in the driver source code.  But folks get 'em to work
anyhow.  I wouldn't give up on it until your dmesg tells us something
about it.  OTOH, anything supported by ex(4) will make your day.

HTH.

--jkl