Subject: Re: Realtek NIC
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2002 15:21:41
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:36:48 -0500, "Fernando" <fernando@rxp.com> wrote:
> I'm having a little difficulty in my NetBSD setup. My machine has a
> Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. (This according to
> Win2kServer device manager)

Fernando,

Your hardware is "probed" at boot up, written to both the screen and
/var/run/dmesg.boot.  The format of the messages varies from driver to
driver, so you have to look around a bit.  On my machine, the Ethernet
drivers show up this way:

$ grep address /var/run/dmesg.boot
ex0: MAC address 00:10:4b:22:15:d8
ne1: Ethernet address 00:e0:29:38:b8:d7

The "ex0" and "ne1" are devices provided by in-kernel drivers.  The
redmondy systems you're used to don't have a similar concept for networks
(although they do for more primitive I/O like COM1:).  The drivers look
around for hardware to manage, and if they find something, you see a
message.  Here's everything they said about mine:

$ grep -E 'ne1|ex0' /var/run/dmesg.boot
ex0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: 3Com 3c905-TX 10/100 Ethernet
ex0: interrupting at irq 11
ex0: MAC address 00:10:4b:22:15:d8
nsphy0 at ex0 phy 24: DP83840 10/100 media interface, rev. 1
ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
ne1: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
ne1: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default auto
ne1: Ethernet address 00:e0:29:38:b8:d7

OTOH, you might find a message that says your kernel found hardware for
which it has no driver:

$ grep configured /var/run/dmesg.boot
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
VIA Technologies product 0x3057 (miscellaneous bridge, revision 0x40) at
pci0 dev 7 function 4 not configured

If you find something in your dmesg that looks like an Ethernet card, post
the relevant bits here.  That will be enough information to determine what
to do.  I'm pretty sure you'll find it's supported.

--jkl

P.S. It's a good idea to use the subject line. :)