Subject: Re: Media (e.g., SmartMedia) via Belkin USB media reader.
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2002 23:40:50
> In message <Pine.GSO.4.33.0211142305320.13930-100000@math.rice.edu>, Richard Ra
> uch writes:
> >I've tried inserting the SmartMedia card both ways.  There is no sign from
> >NetBSD that the OS even knows that the card is present.
>
> Sounds like the reader isn't working.

As in "this model is not compatible with NetBSD" or as in "exchanging for
an `identical' model might work"?  (^&

> >The camera is an Olympus 360D, FWIW.  The reader is Belkin's "USB 8-in-1
> >Media Reader & Writer".  (I seem to recall that Olympus claimed to have
> >some special format that they used for one of their imaging modes and
> >suggested (but didn't require, I think) reformatting SmartMedia cards with
> >the camera prior to use, to get maximum use.)
>
> I haven't used that one.
>
> >Has anyone used a USB reader/writer on NetBSD with Olympus 360D SmartMedia
> >cards?  Or has anyone used the Belkin "8-in-1" with any SmartMedia?
>
> Unfortunately, no, but I *CAN* say that I've used other SmartMedia with the
> media reader I use, and it works.
>
> FWIW, the reader I use is a "mere" 5-in-one which does MMC/SD, CF, and
> SmartMedia.  (The "5th" format is MicroDrive.)

Is it another Belkin, or some other company's product?

This one's list also stretches a bit for it's "8":

  CompactFlash I
  CompactFlash II
  IBM MicroDrive
  SmartMedia
  Secure Digital
  MultiMediaCard
  Memory Stick
  MagicGate Memory Stick

(The last has an asterisk by it, footnoted to say that it's compatible
only with the "non-secure mode only".)

Basically, I figured if I'm going to get one of these it might be best to
get *one* that will work with a range of media.  (Though I suspect that in
a few years most of those formats will be obsolete.  Maybe I should just
get a SmartMedia-only drive on the grounds that I can get one of those for
about half or less the cost and may never need any of those other forms.)