Subject: Re: NetBSD on a VT8601A (PLE133) north bridge motherboard
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2002 10:57:10
>Is there anything more specific you know of with that has problems
>with the VT8601A chipset?  My processor is integrated onto the
>motherboard.  I just don't want to throw the whole thing away.  I was
>hoping I could get some kernel hackers to make some speculations as to
>why the memory errors are occurring so I can figure out where the error
>is occurring and go fix it.

...nothing off the top of my head, but I do know from experience that just
about any board with integrated devices have turned into bigger headaches
and cost more time and money in configuring them for anything but windoh$
than they are worth. Best to check the supported hardware list, and if you
are going to the store with a fistful of $$, try a bare board and add on
the devices you need through expansion cards, as you have a better chance
of getting true hardware (as opposed to "assisted") than with an
integrated board.

My understanding is you have a baby-atx board... is physical space a
limitation? A 1U or 2U case, for example?

IMHO, getting a kernel hack for this chipset is not a real option, unless
the coders have nothing else really pressing to do at the moment.