Subject: Re: TCP/IP newbie question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/13/2002 19:50:11
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:39:43 -0500, "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> I have a two level tree-like configured network. Imagine that in each
> node there's a server with several ethernet interfaces (at least two)
> and the leaves are workstations. They're using class C addresses. But
> not in the same network. That means that the servers act as routers.
>
> Do I have to use NAT to get full communication among the workstation in
> the different "subtrees" or it can be done just with static routes?

As long as you have rational subnets, you don't need NAT.

For example:

www|--|FW|--192.168--|RT|--10/8--|...|

Any host on either private subnet will be able to connect to the others
via RT (a dual-homed NetBSD machine, yes?:)  In fact, if all hosts have RT
as their default gateway, and RT has FW as its default gateway, you're
home free.

FW will of course have to provide NAT for everyone to reach the outside
world (www).

HTH.

--jkl