Subject: Re: new to bsd
To: Fernando <fernando@rxp.com>
From: Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/13/2002 03:47:00
Fernando wrote to netbsd-help@netbsd.org:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm totally new to NetBSD coming from Win2k Server and Dos. I'm
> wondering where I can get info about how to use it. How do I get a
> directory listing? I guess not with "dir" and

Actually, you *can* get a directory listing with "dir" if you want.
I've seen many old DOS junkies create an alias like this:

alias dir=ls -la

In fact, I do the same thing, but for a different reason. I type on a
Dvorak keyboard, so I can hammer out "dir" a lot faster than "ll". :-)

> obviously not by double clicking an icon. :-)

Why not? :-) Do some reading or web searches about XFree86, and the
various window managers available. KDE, for example, is a very full
featured WM that is pretty similar to MS Windows by default. With
NetBSD (or any of the UNIXes for that matter), get used to
*everything* being customizable.

Some folks like to do everything at a shell prompt, (I know. I'm one
of them :-), but there are certainly good alternatives now... and you
can always bring up a shell window when you're ready to learn. :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon