Subject: Re: dumb local ethernet questions
To: None <markp@panix.com, markus@boeing-online.de>
From: None <markp@panix.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2002 16:18:43
| Am Dienstag den, 12. November 2002, um 07:59, schrieb <markp@panix.com>:
|
| > | Missing defaultroute on cerebus. See: rc.conf(5)
| >
| > hmm, that didn't address the problem - ssh, telnet, etc. from either
| > host to the other still just hangs. (sorry, I should have been more
| > specific than "can't connect" in the original mail)
|
| This is probably a stupid proposal. Did you enable the services you want
| to use in /etc/inetd.conf? In NetBSD you have to explicitly un-comment
| telnet, ftp, etc in /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd to make them
| work. I think the default in a FreeBSD installation (with "moderate"
| security option chosen) is to activate basic services such as telnet and
| ftp by default.

yes, I enabled telnet, ftp, and a handful of others, for testing
purposes. I'll probably just disable them again once the network's up
(all I expect to use are ssh and vnc), but I wanted some inetd services
available so I could verify that it's a network problem and not just an
ssh problem.

everything I'm trying over the network works as expected over the
loopback interface, so I'm fairly confident saying that it's not that.
:)

| > one new piece of information, though: with the defaultroute set, I can
| > now successfully ping, 'route get' and traceroute to outside hosts from
| > cerebus (there's a longish pause in the hop between alidoro and my ISP's
| > gateway), but any tcp connection from cerebus to the outside 'net also
| > hangs. is that useful?
|
| I think that is expected behavior. Without the default route your
| machine knows only how to reach directly connected hosts (from ip
| address and mask in ifconfig). With the default route (or a routing
| protocol deamon such as GateD or Zebra) your machine learns how to reach
| networks that are not directly connected.

but not make connections to them. is it useful to know that all
connections from cerebus to the outside world hang, not just connections
from cerebus to alidoro (and from alidoro to cerebus)?

of course, I can get from alidoro out fine, but in that case connections
are going directly over the ppp interface without involving the
ethernet.