Subject: Re: dumb local ethernet questions
To: None <markp@panix.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Markus_B=F6ing?= <markus@boeing-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2002 09:53:30
Am Dienstag den, 12. November 2002, um 07:59, schrieb <markp@panix.com>:

> | Missing defaultroute on cerebus. See: rc.conf(5)
>
> hmm, that didn't address the problem - ssh, telnet, etc. from either
> host to the other still just hangs. (sorry, I should have been more
> specific than "can't connect" in the original mail)

This is probably a stupid proposal. Did you enable the services you want
to use in /etc/inetd.conf? In NetBSD you have to explicitly un-comment
telnet, ftp, etc in /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd to make them
work. I think the default in a FreeBSD installation (with "moderate"
security option chosen) is to activate basic services such as telnet and
ftp by default.

> one new piece of information, though: with the defaultroute set, I can
> now successfully ping, 'route get' and traceroute to outside hosts from
> cerebus (there's a longish pause in the hop between alidoro and my ISP's
> gateway), but any tcp connection from cerebus to the outside 'net also
> hangs. is that useful?

I think that is expected behavior. Without the default route your
machine knows only how to reach directly connected hosts (from ip
address and mask in ifconfig). With the default route (or a routing
protocol deamon such as GateD or Zebra) your machine learns how to reach
networks that are not directly connected.