Subject: Re: Altq or how to regulate incoming bandwidth
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Mihai Chelaru <kefren@netbastards.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2002 10:17:46
On Monday 11 November 2002 23:53, Martin Weber wrote:
> Hmm, just wondering. I wanted to get a fair sharing of
> my shared uplink, and thought about getting altq configured.
> Now I read about the different queueing disciplines, and
> am astonished to see that only _outgoing_ bandwidth is
> regulated.
>
> How would I say, like, 50 % of (downstream) bandwidth to
> this IP, 50 % of it there ? Is that possible at all ?

You can't convince so easily your peers to send shaped data to you with=20
running any shaper on them. You should accept any incoming traffic and=20
put the outgoing supplement in queues. When the queue will be full the=20
router will ECN back the source to slow down the transmission if both=20
peers are right configured. If ECN is not understood by the peer the=20
packets that exceeds the queue will be dropped.

> wondering & thankful for any pointers to rtfm,
>
> -Martin

Take care,