Subject: Re: i386 home Cluster Questions
To: NetBSD -- Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: =?Windows-1252?Q?Vir=E1gh_Barnab=E1s?= <bhs@ludens.elte.hu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2002 20:53:11
> Virágh Barnabás wrote:
> > Is it possible to have the following configuration :
> >
> > 2 PCs:
> > 1 1600+MHz server, with 80 GB HDD,
> > 1 200 MHz diskless client
>
> The best way to achieve what you ask with existing apps without
> recompilation, tweaking or manual execution (like launch program X on the
> other computer) is to use MOSIX which, unless things have changed since
> last time I touched it, work only on IA32 linux-based environments.
>
> I know for sure MOSIX satisfies all the scenarios you painted.

I have red around that MOSIX... It's just like I wished... but for linux!

> I doubt there will be anyting like that on NetBSD since such programs
> require a huge amount of machine dependent code, hence it would be just
one
> of...42? architectures supported.

It's clear, that codes can not be run on different platforms. But on the
same platform, machines could do very similar things like MOSIX do, also
preserving it's portability. This is becouse MOSIX also uses IP to send
pockets through the LAN. In NetBSD's case - as I know - all of the programs
have to use the same kernel functions (which could also be redirected), on
any kind of platform, making aplications portable. So this MOSIX could be
also ported to many different platforms, just it would have to be built into
the kernel.
Am I right?

But is there any kind of MOSIX like network clustering method available to
NetBSD, right now?