Subject: Re: vmware problems - cdrom, /dev/rtc, vmnet
To: None <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2002 18:32:10
>>>>> Lubos Vrbka writes:

Lubos> i'm trying to get vmware running (netbsd-1.6, X 4.2.0).

[...]

Lubos> 1) my cdrom behaviour in the vmware is weird. it works, but has
Lubos> got approx. 1.5 sec timeout after reading every single file -

Lubos> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <SONY    CD-RW  CRX175A, , 1.0h> type 5 cdrom removable

Strange, I have what looks like almost exactly the same cdrom and it
works fine for me:

cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <SONY    CD-RW  CRX175A1, , 5YS2> cdrom removable

I'll send you my .log file from a sample run, maybe you can find
something if you compare it to yours.

Lubos> 2) where can i find the /dev/rtc device? it is needed for the
Lubos> win98 and vmware looks for it at startup...

Load the linuxrtc LKM. But you shouldn't really need this. Win98 works
fine for me without it.

Lubos> 3) bridged network in the vmware doesn't work.

You should use the one called "host-only" instead. Then turn on
forwarding and NAT (and possibly samba) on the "outside" and you will
be fully connected...

Kind regards,

        -- Urban