Subject: Re: SSH and NAT and re-connections.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2002 18:24:39
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 06:46:23AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > > I know that TCP can't handle it.  That's why this seems like a ``good
> > > thing'' for ssh to be able to recover from.  I'd hoped that it was a
> > > feature that was built into ssh.  Alas, from what you say, ssh doesn't
> > > provide recovery for this, either.  I know I'm not the first person to
> > > want/need such a thing (else GNU screen wouldn't have it; (^&).
> >
> > GNU screen is much, much older than ssh
>
> Yes, of course.  But what does that have to do with whether it's a good
> idea that people find valuable?

I understood you comment as "GNU screen was developed because ssh didn't
have that feature".
I've the feeling that ssh is not the right place to implement this feature,
and screen (or vnc) is the right tool to use. You have different ways to
get a login shell on a host: telnet, rlogin, ssh, xterm, serial terminal, ...
Implementing screen functionality in ssh would mean you can't use it with
other tools giving you a shell.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>