Subject: Re: SSH and NAT and re-connections.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/10/2002 20:44:33
> > My question:  Should ssh be able to survive that?  My thought is that it
> > can't, because my IP number necessarily changed.  Unless ssh is a lot
> > brighter than I give it credit for...  (^&
>
> A TCP connection can't survive if the IP address changed. ssh isn't
> designed to restart a tcp connection for the sme session.

I know that TCP can't handle it.  That's why this seems like a ``good
thing'' for ssh to be able to recover from.  I'd hoped that it was a
feature that was built into ssh.  Alas, from what you say, ssh doesn't
provide recovery for this, either.  I know I'm not the first person to
want/need such a thing (else GNU screen wouldn't have it; (^&).
Unfortunately, so far as I know, you can't use GNU screen's support to
carry anything other than a text/console/shell type session.

> > My last question, since I'm on the subject of transient connections: How
> > much trouble is it to get NetBSD's 1.6 pppoe device to automatically
> > raise/lower on network activity?  I've never done this kind of thing.  I
> > would check PPP to see what it can do, but I know that pppoe doesn't quite
> > fully use PPP (defaultroute support seems to be dropped), so before I
>
> NetBSD's pppoe doesn't use the ppp daemon, all is happening in kernel.

I thought our ppp device was in the kernel.

> pppoe should be able to do it. Try:
> ifconfig pppoe0 link1
> You may also want to tweak the idle-timeout parameter with pppoectl

Hm...okay, thanks.  What's the LCP timeout about (I have left it at the
default 1 second setting, but don't know what it means).