Subject: Re: newbie Qs again
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vir=E1gh_Barnab=E1s?= <bhs@ludens.elte.hu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/2002 16:01:40
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:47:52PM +0100, Virágh Barnabás wrote:
> 1.) I have red the
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/#clamping and configured
> up a NAT like:
> map pppoe0 0/0 -> 0/0 mssclamp 1452
> It helpd some, but not fully! I can now use the web, mainly. But some sites
> don't want to come up, or either get stalled after a some initial bytes came
> through the net... :( www.netbsd.org is one of them!!
>
> I've got an advice to check that "sysctl -w net.inet.ip.mtudisc=1" should be
> 1 under 1.6... It wasn't... I've turned it on... Also I have rebuilt the
> kernel without inet6, and gateway enabled, but it didn't helped.
>
> So! Has anyone got some usefull hints on that problem?

You may also want to try
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

> 2.) I would like to change the multi boot menu installed by NetBSD
> sysinst... I would like to change default partition, and also the
> partition's name... how to do this?

fdisk -B

> 3.) I've rebuilt the kernel with apm enabled... but issuing a "halt -p"
> displays this:
> APM set power state <2ff,3>: unrecognized device ID (0x907)
> How to help on this (I have a VIA KT333 mainboard, which NetBSD identifies
> as KT266...)

I also get these for some motherboards, it doesn't seem to hurt.

> 4.) There are strange errors in the dmesg:
> wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 2
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA
> data transfers)
> wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA
> data transfers)
> wd0a: error writing fsbn 16 of 16-19 (wd0 bn 14699491; cn 14582 tn 13 sn
> 16), retrying
> wd0: (aborted command, interface CRC error)
> wd0: soft error (corrected)
> sometimes the 4-5th rows apears more times, during boot... What is it? How
> to solve?

If you're running 1.6, you may want to try upgrading your kernel to
1.6_STABLE. Some bugs in the VIA IDE support has been fixed.

> 5.) I also see, that my HDD LED constantly lights. Is it becouse NetBSD
> constantly uses it, or just NetBSD somehow configured to constantly light on
> the HDD LED?

It's related to some problems with ATAPI devices. I though it was fixed, but
maybe not in all case. Sometimes just opening/closing the CD drive makes
the led work again.

> 6.) Please tell me someone about a good http proxy server. Is there any kind
> of http/pop3/smtp/ftp/telnet/socks5 proxy server like WinGate - easy to
> configure, yet powerfull and featurefull?
>
> 7.) Is there a Multi Processor (i386) version of NetBSD? If there is, is it
> the -current version, which is not stable? (I would glad to test it, on a
> PCI/E-P54NP4 motherboard with 2 P90-s in it)

There is support in -current. There are also unofficial patches for
1.6_STABLE, that you can get from CVS:
setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
setenv CVS_RSH ssh
cvs co -r netbsd-1-6 -P syssrc