Subject: Re: new newbie questions
To: Virágh" "Barnabás <bhs@ludens.elte.hu>
From: Oliver Tonnhofer <olt@bogosoft.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2002 20:34:17
Hallo Virágh,

Virágh Barnabás <bhs@ludens.elte.hu> wrote:
>1.) I have a Siemens XpressLink UTP ADSL modem, connected to my /dev/rtk0
>drive which is configured to be 192.168.1.40. I also have /dev/ne2 which is
>192.168.0.2 (both with netmask 255.255.255.0).
>
>- How to get the DNS server address from the ISP?
>- How to make NetBSD to use a specific DNS server (not sending packets to
>0.0.0.0)?
>- How to disable IPv6 functions?
>- Why is it, that I can not brows the net? Only a very few sites come in...
>lynx, dillo, conqueror just get's in touch with server, and doesn't get any
>HTTP data. Also SSH, FTP, TELNET connections can be estabilished, but after
>a few kbytes, the connection breaks down. btw... I use ADSL flawlessly under
>Win2000... Ping works, DNS works, just datas can not be transfered.. :(
>- How to set up NetBSD to act as a gateway between my intranet (/dev/ne2)
>and internet (/dev/rtk0 -> /dev/pppoe0)?

You shouldn't use your own shell scripts. Use /etc/ifconfig.pppoe and
/etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ip-down scripts to avoid some trouble.

Also you must not assign the rtk0 device an IP address.

Please read http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/. This
great documentation should solve all your problems.

>2.) How to set up NetBSD to shut down realy! To turn computer off? I know,
>with the command "halt -p", or "shutdown -p now", but the /dev/apm device
>can not be used... as you can see in my rc.conf, I have enabled to load
>"apmd". But it print's out, that can not open that device... nor
>/dev/apmctl... I have Abit KX7-333 Motherboard.

You have to enable amp in the kernel. Uncomment the following line in
your kernelconfig and recompile it.
#apm0 at mainbus0  # Advanced power management

>3.) Can NetBSD be suspended and/or hibernated anyway?

With apmd enabled you can use 'apm -z'

>4.) Is there a good multi-layer-enabled + vektor enabled image editor for
>NetBSD, like Paint Shop Pro for win, or at least like Photoshop?

/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/gimp

>5.) Is there a good HTML/PHP code editor for NetBSD, like Macromedia's
>HomeSite?

/usr/pkgsrc/www/bluefish

>besides these difficulties... I like this new OS! :)

But it isn't new.

~
Oliver