Subject: Re: Question about USB ADSL modem
To: Bob Gervais <bgervais@be.xrt.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2002 15:22:00
Bob Gervais wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem directly connected to my PC
> now.
> I would like to set up NetBSD Firewall using an old portable with a 3Com
> Etherlink III 3C589 PCMCIA card and my Alcatel Speedtouch modem.
> Do you think this is possible and will it be easy to install?
> I am a complete newbie when it comes to Non MS products so any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Bob

As long as the portable has a USB interface, then your ready to build a
fully featured firewall! Look in pkgsrc for net/speedtouch, which relies
on net/userppp. I asssume you know how to use the packages collection,
if not then have a read of:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/README

In short, download the pkgsrc.tar.gz tarball, extract it as root under
/usr, change into the resulting /usr/pkgsrc/net/speedtouch directory
and type:

make install

If the machine in question isn't connected to the web, then you'll need
to download the source for the speedtouch and userppp packages, then
place them into the /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles directory. If you're already
connected to the outside world, then the package tools will
automatically download the required source files.

Once userppp and the speedtouch driver are installed, then read the
configuration section of the driver instructions. These can be
found at:

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/docs.html

For NAT configuration (to allow more than one machine to share your
Internet connection), see the NetBSD guide. It's available in a number
of languages and formats at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/

Chris
--