Subject: Re: Cups problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/05/2002 10:52:44
wleeson@indigo.ie writes:

> 	This is probally a really stupid questing but here goes
> anyway. I am having a bit of trouble with cups and my Epson C62
> printer. It seems that the old lpr printing system is
> interfering with cups beacuse program which try to use lpr
> instead of /usr/pkg/bin/lpr won't work and seem to put the
> printer in the wrong mode.What I'd like to know is there a way
> to get the old lpr system to use cups? or if that's not
> possible how can I get it out of the way. I tried using LPD=NO
> in rc.conf but that only stops the daemon from starting which
> is not quite the same thing.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but i think i can help
you anyway.  If you need to support the old lpd protocols, cups
has a program which implements that.  Add the following line to
inetd.conf:

printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/pkg/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd

Now, anything which supports that protocol (including the plain
old lpr software shipped in the system in /usr, if so
configured) can print to cups.

If you only need to support the command-line interface to
printing (lp, lpq, etc.), cups provides such binaries in
/usr/pkg.  Note that if you don't need to support the lpd
protocol but only this command-line interface, you do *not* need
to run cups-lpd.

If you want to ensure that all users and programs use the cups
programs rather than the system ones, it's much easier to copy
the cups programs into /usr/bin then to ensure the PATH
environment variable is always set correctly.

HTH.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett