Subject: Re: Compression=no doesn't work in .ssh/config?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/2002 13:42:44
>when trying to ssh to linux machines with sshd compression disabled,
>and this setup, I get the usual error "no matching comp found: client
>zlib server none".
>
>Shouldn't this be valid though?
>
>951 yeled@peko:~ less .ssh/config
>Host *
>Compression yes
>ForwardAgent yes
>
>Host linux
>Compression no
>Hostname linux.fqdn
>
>Host tao
>Hostname IP.NU.MB.ER
>
>(END)
>
>952 yeled@peko:~ ssh linux
>no matching comp found: client zlib server none
>953 yeled@peko:~

there are two ways to do configuration: this way and that way.  if you
do it that way, there will always be people who wanted it done this
way.

the way ssh configuration works, each setting is set the first time it
is encountered.  nothing overrides anything else (unless it's the
command line, but that's arguably something that it sees before it
sees your config file), so later settings don't override earlier ones.

move the host * section to the bottom of your config file.  the
defaults should go at the bottom.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."