Subject: audio problems with xcdplayer and xmms
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/24/2002 14:37:38
I've got netbsd 1.5.2 i386 installed on a thinkpad 600x.  Now I'm
trying to figure out how to use some of the audio applications that
from pkgsrc.

First question: when I play a cd with xcdplayer, it works, but the
volume is very low.

The volume control in the application seems to work, but the maximum
volume is still very low.  When I boot the box into Windows, I can
adjust the volume up much higher, so somehow xcdplayer is not able to
tweak the right knob somewhere.  While googling around, someone
earlier suggested that this was a job for mixerctl.  Here is what I
get when I run mixerctl -a -v:

$ mixerctl -a -v
outputs.master=128,128 volume
outputs.fmsynth=128,128 volume
outputs.cd=128,128 volume
outputs.dac=224,224 volume
outputs.mic=0 volume
outputs.line=0,0 volume
record.source=  [ mic cd line ]
inputs.treble=off  [ off on ]
inputs.bass=on  [ off on ]

After reading the man page for mixerctl, it's not clear to me which of
these variable should be frobbed to adjust the volume.  I'm missing
something simple: any ideas?

Next problem: I can't figure out how to get xmms to play a cd.  When I
hit the play button, I get a "Load file(s)" popup.  From reading the
xmms documentation, I think that I should put in /dev/cd0a.  When I do
this, I hear the cd respond for just a second, but then when I hit the
play button, the same popup comes up again!  So I don't know how to
proceed to get xmms working.  Once again, any ideas appreciated.

-russ