Subject: Re: How can I create an i386 boot floppy?
To: Joe Magee <jmagee@starrider.com>
From: None <collver1@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/22/2002 21:42:43
On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:50:00PM -0500, Joe Magee wrote:
> I need to create a boot floppy for an i386 system. Researching the
> documentation mentions boot floppies many times, but I have not found
> anything detailing how to make one. Please advise where I can find the
> documentation for the process to create a boot floppy. Thanks.
>
> Joe Magee

Go to http://netbsd.org
Click i386 under Platforms
Click "NetBSD/i386 1.5.3 Install Notes"
Scroll through the table of contents and click on
	"Getting the NetBSD system onto useful media"

Getting the NetBSD System on to Useful Media
If you are not booting off a CD-ROM, you will need to have some floppy
disks to boot off; either two 1.44 MB floppies or one 1.2 MB floppy.

For laptops that have cardbus slots, you should use the bootlap1.fs and
bootlap2.fs floppy images.

For older machines with little RAM, use boot-tiny.fs. This image is
tailored towards old, small-memory systems, and thus does not contain any
PCI or SCSI support. It should work on systems with 4M of RAM. Note that
this means 4M available to NetBSD; systems that are said to have 4M may
have 640k of base memory and 3072k of extended memory, which currently will
not work, as this is a total of 3712k.

For old machines that may have EISA, SCSI and more RAM, but only have an
1.2M floppy drive, use boot-small.fs. For all other systems, use boot1.fs
and boot2.fs

For the 2-floppy sets (and the CD boot image), utilities to repair a badly
crashed systems are included. The -small and -tiny images have seperate
rescue floppy images because of lack of space.

If you are using a UNIX-like system to write the floppy images to disks,
you should use the dd command to copy the file system image(s) (.fs file)
directly to the raw floppy disk. It is suggested that you read the dd(1)
manual page or ask your system administrator to determine the correct set
of arguments to use; it will be slightly different from system to system,
and a comprehensive list of the possibilities is beyond the scope of this
document.

If you are using MS-DOS to write the floppy image(s) to floppy disk, you
should use the rawrite utility, provided in the i386/utilities directory of
the NetBSD distribution. It will write a file system image (.fs file) to a
floppy disk. A rawrite32 is also available that runs under MS Windows.