Subject: Re: osrelease.sh / param.h
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2002 11:10:59
"Nicolas Saurbier" <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de> writes:
> has  any1 ever tried to change the osrelease??? Changing the ostype
> was easy, but the osrelease...

I do it all the time. I'm a NetBSD release engineer. Anyone else who
touches that parameter gets what they deserve, good and hard.

This is very much like complaining that the system stops working if
you replace the kernel with random bits.

> I found the files /sys/conf/osrelease.sh and /sys/sys/param.h and
> did the following changes:
>
> osrelease.sh:
>
> # Release number to use
> # Also check __NetBSD_Version__ in sys/sys/param.h if you change this!
> release=1.0.1
[...]
> #define __NetBSD_Version__  100000100   /* Gateway 1.0.1 */

You set things back in time to a non-existent release, and you're
surprised that various things in the tree break?

> Any idea on that????

If you touch that stuff, you're going to lose.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com