Subject: Re: Undefined symbol in SSL-using packages
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/31/2002 19:03:12
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> I have downloaded the pkgsrc binaries for lynx and curl. When I try
> to use either of them with an https: URL, I get:
>
> /usr/pkg/lib/libssl.so.1: Undefined PLT symbol "sk_new_null" (reloc
> type = 7, symnum = 44)
>
> pkg_info sez (among other things):
>
> lynx-2.8.3.1        Alphanumeric display oriented World-Wide Web Client
> openssl-0.9.6       Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
> curl-7.9.5nb1       client that groks URLs
>
> Do I need to update openssl to openssl-0.9.6nb2.tgz?

On 1.5* and 1.6*, lynx shouldn't use the package openssl at all,
though the binary may be picking it up by mistake. The current openssl
packages install libssl.so.200, so this can't happen. The latest
stable lynx is 2.8.4.1.2, and there are packages available.

> If so, and I
> wait a few days, can I update directly to the newer openssl with the
> security fixes in it?

Makes sense. By the way, what system do you have? On current (and soon
1.6_BETA5), you can update now without recompiling any packages.
In-tree 1.5* and package openssl will probably require recompiling
everything.

Frederick