Subject: reinstalling bootblocks / boot selector
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/15/2002 11:03:21
I've been toying with using mbrlabel to make my (unused)
win98 partitions readable. STr last time I did this I got
an unbootable drive, and someone mentioned I should reinstall
the boot blocks after running fdisk?

If I wanted to do this, I'd run

/usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a

correct?

Now, since this is writing to the root filesystem (I think),
how would I go about rewriting the boot selector
(which looks like it's in the MBR someowhere).

mbr(8) seems to confirm this, but doesn't explain how to reinstall it.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I was planning to have a social life
this week, so could do without having to reinstall from backup :)