Subject: Re: PPP garbage data?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <florian.stoehr@login-solutions.de>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/2002 08:13:31
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 @ 1:57pm (+0200), Florian Stöhr wrote:

FS> hi,
FS>
FS> never dialed any ISP with cu before. i tried several ISP, it's always the
FS> same problem. i can dial all of them using Win2k with the same modem.

...in 2k, in the RAS/DUN (wow, it's been a while, feels odd saying those)
menu, there's a checkbox to enable 'logging'.  do it, then check
C:\winnt\system32 for a log file.  The log file will contain the init
string the win2k modem driver is sending.  re-use that init string and see
if it helps.

There's also something in there in advanced called "post dial terminal
screen".  Try to enable that and see if the menu/text works in 2k

-lava

FS> also happens when using pppd and chat script.
FS>
FS> i enabled hardware handshake in options file for pppd.
FS>
FS>
FS> > On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 @ 11:11am (+0200), Florian Stöhr wrote:
FS> >
FS> > FS> hi,
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> connection manually with cu:
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> ATZ
FS> > FS> OK
FS> > FS> ATDT12345
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> after receiving
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> CONNECT 48000...
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> some seconds just nothing happens. then I receive some garbage data from
FS> > FS> the ISP (seems binary), then the modem disconnects.
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> what's wrong? is this a kind of compression I have to setup? how to
FS> > FS> receive login/password prompt?
FS> >
FS> > really it helps to know what type of dial-in gear your ISP uses.
FS> >
FS> > ... _most_ RAS gear, if it doesn't detect a PPP or SLIP session at connect
FS> > time, will give you a text based login prompt.
FS> >
FS> > have you ever cu'd in and dialed your ISP before?
FS> >
FS> > -lava
FS> >
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> when connecting with pppd/chat-script i don't see the modem output, but it
FS> > FS> seems like the same would happen since it disconnects too after some
FS> > FS> seconds.
FS> > FS>
FS> > FS> Flo
FS> > FS>
FS> >
FS> > later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
FS> > Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
FS> >                   | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
FS> >                   | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email
FS> >
FS> > PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973
FS> >
FS> > "There are only two things infinite:  The universe, and human stupidity.  And I'm not to sure about the first one."  -Albert Einstein

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."