Subject: UBC tuning discussions?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/2002 11:19:03
I've followed the discussions on some of the other mailing lists just enough
to know that there are some parameters to tune (with sysctl), which
can change the performance of a system with UBC (unified buffer cache),
and that might be particularly desired in a workstation.  I know what
the parameters are, but don't really understand what changing them is
doing.  Anyone care to point me at a document (or even email thread) that
can give some pointers as to how to start?

Here's the parameters I think are relevant:

vm.nkmempages = 20454
vm.anonmin = 10
vm.execmin = 5
vm.filemin = 10
vm.maxslp = 20
vm.uspace = 8192
vm.anonmax = 80
vm.execmax = 30
vm.filemax = 50

Also, does there exist a document which describes the various things
tweakable by sysctl?

Thanks!
+j

--