Subject: Re: pkgsrc destination
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2002 01:59:40
On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:55:51PM -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> Ok,  I tried to install lynx from the pkgsrc.  I was able to get the
> make and make install to work just fine.  But when I tried to run lynx,
> the OS was unable to find lynx.  When I did a find, I found it in
> /usr/pkg/bin.  Is that directory suppose to be in the path?  I have a
> feeling that there is something I have not done.  Can someone enlighten
> me?

Check your PATH environment variable if it contains /usr/pkg/bin. If it
doesn't, use your shell's startup file to add to it. If it is in the path,
some shells are hashing the commands and their locations, that means that
the directories are not searched everytime you type something, but only
once on startup - or when you force it. The command for shells which are
hashing commands to force them checking again is "rehash". So after you
installed something, "rehash" and the command should be found (if /usr/pkg/bin
is in your path!)

HTH

-Martin