Subject: Re: Would like sendmail local_eoh to be overridden by access map..
To: None <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2002 16:53:36
Last reply to this in this forum.

Quoting sudog@sudog.com (sudog@sudog.com):
> > Better on comp.mail.sendmail, but several bad ideas here
> >
> > FORGED:
> >    perfectly legal, also common on fine mail.  My machine
> >    introduces itself as the inside interface.  (EHLO
> >    inside.domain.com) Not illegal but will show up as forged.
>
> HELO/EHLO does not show up as forged. A DNS forged means that the
> forward and reverse lookups don't match. Sendmail looks up the IP,
> then taks the result and looks that up. If they don't match, then
> FORGED comes back. ALL admins should have their reverse working for
> the mail servers. Worse yet, ALL admins should have their reverse
> match the forward lookup. A missing PTR is one thing. An incorrect one
> is another entirely.

You know, I know that.  I should know it, I used to know it
(I wrote it up for a court case) and I forgot it.  You are
right.

However, when I have a machine on IDIOT (name a telco here),
I often cannot get that reverse DNS changed.  And when my
clients are on SDSL from Verizon/PacHell/SBC/FranceTelecom,
there addresses may be wrong.  And no matter how good the
company's admins, they still have to go through that intelligence
vacuum of their providers.  ("By providing poor service slowly
at lower prices and monopoly powers, we have no competition.
We don't care, we don't have to; we're the re-united phone
company")

I still say use that information to add a header.  Yes, 95%
of my "X-NoRDNS" mail is spam, but there's a critical 5% that
isn't.