Subject: NIC problem on HP laptop
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@bigfoot.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/02/2002 13:02:58
I've just done an install of NetBSD 1.5.2 on my HP XE3 laptop, and
immediately run into a problem with my network card. The install floppies
went fine, my card was detected without a problem, and autoconfigured my ip
address fine. Downloaded install sets, installed, all fine. Rebooted, set
/etc/myname and /etc/mygate to appropriate values. Found my network not
working. Ran dmesg, saw that my NIC appeared to be getting recognised and
set correctly (an Accton Tech card of some sort, built in to the laptop),
but when I tried an 'ifconfig -a' it wasn't listed, and when I did
'ifconfig tlp0' I got Device not configured.
Going back to my install floppies (using the INSTALL_LAPTOP kernel), and
running ifconfig -a, I got this:

tlp0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 00:d0:59:32:8d:5d
	media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
	status: active

Running dmesg at this point provides the following:

tlp0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ADMtek AN985 Ethernet, pass 1.1
tlp0: interrupting at irq 11
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:59:32:8d:
ukphy0 at tlp0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: OUI 0x000895, model 0x0001, rev. 0
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Back to my actual install (using the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel), I started
fiddling around, the dmesg appeared to have the same info as for the floppy
boot, but still nothing from ifconfig. Given that it was now 5am, I gave in
and left it for the next day. I don't know what I did, but now my NIC is
not even getting identified/configured -- when I look at my dmesg now I get:

Accton Technology EN2242 10/100 Ethernet (ethernet network, revision 0x11)
at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configured.

So. I figure I must have changed some setting so that this all stuffed up.
Anyone got any suggestions here?
Thanks in advance,
	Piers.