Subject: Re: How do I dual boot Linux on second hard drive?
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2002 12:37:21
Chris Wareham wrote:
> I have just installed a second hard drive to my NetBSD
> machine, and would like to install Linux onto it. All
> the dual booting documentation assumes that NetBSD and
> Linux are going to reside on the same drive, so how do
> I boot Linux when my primary drive already has NetBSD
> on it?

Just in case it's any use to others, the solution I went
for is to install LILO (the Linux boot loader) on the
MBR of the first disk (/dev/hda in Linux parlance, with
NetBSD on it). Then I modified my /etc/lilo.conf, adding:

other=/dev/hda4
     table=/dev/hda
     label=NetBSD

I also made NetBSD the default, and reconfigured LILO
by running /sbin/lilo. Thanks to Mathew Grant for
suggesting I go with this method.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)